All in one digital platform website to city promotions
Ernakulam district formed on 1st April 1958 carving areas of erstwhile Travancore-Kochi-Malabar kingdoms. Major portion of the district is from the Kochi kingdom. The district consists of the mainland Ernakulam, the man made Willington Island, Mattanchery, Fort Kochi, world's most populous area of Vypeen Island, Bolghatty Palace etc. Kochi is the most modern city of Kerala where the best shopping, markets and bazars are located.
From time immemorial Arabs, Chinese, Dutch, British and Portuguese seafarers followed the sea route to Kochi and left their impressions in the town. The Chinese fishing nets, believed to be erected in 1350 AD, swaying in the breeze over backwaters, the Jewish Synagogue, Dutch Palace, Portuguese Architecture, Bolghatty Palace etc. enrich the heritage of Kerala.
The word Ernakulam was drawn from a Tamil word Erayanarkulam means abode of Lord Shiva's.
The present Ernakulam District include Paravur, Aluva, Kochi, Kanayannoor, Muvattupuzha, Kunnathunadu, Kothamangalam Taluks which come under Fortkochi and Muvattupuzha Revenue Sub Division. Prior to the formation of Idukki District, Thodupuzha Taluk was also a part of Ernakulam District. Ernakulam District was formed on April 1st 1958. The District which has an area of 895.3Sq.K.M. can be divided geographically as Highland, Midland and Coastal area. The altitude of Highland is about 1000 feet.
Marine Drive, Kochi: Enjoy a scenic view of the sea and the Cochin Port. Shopping can be done at the GCDA shopping center. Two spectacular bridges have also been built along the shore. Boat rides are available.
Chinese Fishing Nets (Cheena Vala): can be seen at Fort Cochin.
Hill Palace Museum: at Tripunithura. Paintings, epigraphy, furnitures of the royal family etc. are displayed.
Bolgatty Island: has a palace built by the Dutch in 1744, and a golf course.
Willington Island: Formed from the sand deposited when Cochin Port was deepened, Willington Island has a naval base, a railway terminus, a port, and customs offices.
Kodanad: Elephant training centre is located here.
Parikshith Museum: a museum with memories of 19th century.
Dutch Palace: Made in 1568 by the Portuguese. Later re-structured by the Dutch.
Kerala Historical Museum: Located at Edappally, on the Aluva–Ernakulam road.
Chendamangalam: a village that is the location of the Paliam palace, Vypeenakotta Seminary, and is also remarkable for having a Hindu Temple, Synagogue, Church, and Mosque, all within one kilometre of each other.
Bhoothathankettu: a scenic dam site with boating facilities is situated in a vast virgin forest. St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Malayattoor: The only international shrine in Asia. Also believed to have been visited by St. Thomas, the apostle.
Wonder La: Kakkanad:one of the most important amusement park in the south india.It is locate at Pallikkara near to Kakkanad.